I flew in to Heathrow on Monday morning, and my friend Hannah met me at the airport. I never sleep in cars, and therefore I never slept on the flight. So after a sleepless night, I was very tired and felt like I might fall asleep on the tube back to her flat. I took a short nap and then we headed to dinner - some very yummy pizza.
We then went on a walk in the South Bank area of London, along the Thames. I got to see Tower Bridge, the Shard, St. Paul's, the Tate Modern, the London Eye, the Globe Theatre, and Big Ben - all things I had been dreaming of seeing for years and years. It was magical.
The next morning (May 2nd), we made our way to King's Cross Station so I could catch my train up to Edinburgh. The train ride was so beautiful! I luckily had a window seat and got to watch the countryside roll by. There were even some parts where you could see the ocean, which I loved!
We met up at our hostel, went for a walk, ate some dinner, and then headed up Calton Hill as a group. This is a large hill right in the middle of Edinburgh with several monuments. One of these is the Scottish National Monument, a half-finished replica of the Parthenon. It's half finished because they ran out of donation money, and is now sometimes referred to as "Edinburgh's Disgrace". The views were so beautiful. This whole city is beautiful. Coming up out of the train station I had to stop on the sidewalk for a moment to take it all in. I'm still taking it all in. I love it here.
(I can't figure out how to upload pictures from my phone onto my blog at the moment - so you can check out my instagrams!
No comments:
Post a Comment